Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Kindle Debate

The Kindle. It's been quite a hot topic in publishing circles for the past year or so. The industry has been predicting--mostly fearing--the domination of the electronic book for longer than that: I went to NYU's Summer Publishing Institute in 2002 and it was a hot topic then. A lot of bookish people don't like the idea, preferring the feel of a book in their hands, even the smell of the ink and paper. And I was firmly in that camp . . . until my friend, a literary agent, brought her Kindle with her on her last visit. Then my dormant gadget geek kicked in and I decided I had to have one!

The sleek design of Kindle 2.0 . . . the crystal clear type on screen (much easier on the eyes than I had imagined) . . . But what really sold me was when I figured out that I could take a Kindle out in public, and no one would know what I was reading. I was in the midst of the Twilight Saga at this point and hurrying to finish before an upcoming business trip, because I didn't want to be seen reading Twilight on the plane. But with a Kindle, I could read about teenage vampires or any other trash and no one would ever know!

At least one Kindle aficionado has even taken his e-reader along to a book signing, as seen in this story from the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/business/media/15kindle.html?_r=1&emc=eta1
Of course, being a David Sedaris signing, the witty author inscribed "This bespells doom" on the shiny plastic surface.

Even as e-readers become more and more popular, I believe paper books will be around for a long time. And, even though the price for the Kindle recently dropped, I still haven't ordered one. Please--I let nearly 60 paper books build up in my apartment. How gluttonous would I be if I could acquire a new book at the click of a button and didn't even have to wedge it onto an already over-stuffed shelf?

Speaking of all those books, I'm nearing halfway through a historical novel called "Red River," but if it doesn't pick up soon, I will ditch it.

2 comments:

  1. Uh huh-- but how many of those 60 books did you pay for? Do you think publishers will be more or less generous with electronic copies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at BEA this year, Harper Collins distributed all of their advance copies via e-books. They handed out postcards with codes so you could download them for free. It could be the wave of the future! And, since there's no printing, I would imagine they would be more generous . . . Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete