Sunday, August 16, 2009

3 Little Book Gluttons Go to a Book Swap

Goodreads.com sponsored a book swap at Book Soup yesterday. (See here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/08/scenes-from-the-goodreads-bookswap-with-kogi-bbq-at-book-soup.html) I have a growing stack of books to get rid of, now that I'm about 20% through my list (finished book #10 last night and have about 20 pages to go on book #11!), so I e-mailed a couple of friends to see if they wanted to go with me. I know what you're thinking--isn't that like inviting an alcoholic to a free-for-all at a liquor store? Friend #1 was very eager! She, too, has been complaining about how many books she had sitting around. Friend #2 acted like I was asking her to cut off her right arm. "What's a book swap?" she asked. "Does that mean I have to give away some of my books? I love all my books!" I assured her no one would force her to give up books, but--since she's getting ready to move at the end of the month--she did show up with a couple of bags full that she was willing to get rid of.

I have a few friends who can't bear to part with any of their books. Even publishing industry folks who acquire scads of books! I get sentimental over some--don't ask to even borrow my Harry Potters or The Time Traveler's Wife--but most of the stuff I read I donate to libraries or friends as soon as I've read them. I'm afraid my apartment would like the houses of those people you see on Oprah who have that hording disease if I didn't!

We all had a great time at the swap--especially since the Kogi Taco Truck was there, a must try for anyone in LA!--but none of us wanted to take away any books . . . all of us being book gluttons and all . . . Friend #1 did extremely well. She didn't bring home any books--even though she kept going back for one last look to make sure nothing was calling her name. Friend #2, the one who thought I was asking for her first born, took a couple of Friend #1's books. I, too, took a couple of Friend #1's books. One was a collection of short stories by writers I really like--Nick Hornby, Dave Eggers, Melissa Banks--and the other was Curtis Sittenfeld's second novel, The Man of My Dreams. I really enjoyed Prep, and American Wife is on my list, so I figured why not!? No, I won't be adding these to my list. I'm sure there will be a phase 2, since I've found a few unread treasures on my bookshelves at my parents' house . . .

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, you guys only took friend #1's books?? Didn't the swap have anything good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots and lots of John Grisham, Tom Clancy . . . some books that I might have picked up had I not been in the middle of Operation: Book Glutton.

    ReplyDelete