Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Brideshead Revisited

Book one down, countless to go . . . Brideshead Revisited was not at all what I thought it would be. I have to admit (and it pains my literature major heart to say this) that I was interested in this book because of the movie that came out last fall with Emma Thompson. Judging from the ads for that, I was expecting a novel of manners set in a fancy estate in the English countryside. And while it had some of that, it dealt with much deeper issues than I was expecting . . . religion, adultery, impending war.

Brideshead was much more captivating and a quicker read than I anticipated. Certain elements reminded me of Atonement and The Talented Mr. Ripley--a man becomes enamored with a wealthy and quirky family. I was a little surprised when I opened the book to a picture of the author and discovered that Evelyn was a he. You would think this would have come up in one of my countless literature classes. I guess I never quite hit the 20th century in British lit.

Next I'm going to pick up the sequel to Ellen Foster . . . .

Some observations fro Mr. Waugh:

"For in that city [New York] there is neurosis in the air which the inhabitants mistake for energy."

"Charm is the great English blight. It does not exist outside these damp islands. It spots and kills anything it touches. It kills love; it kills art; I great fear, my dear Charles, it has killed you."

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, perhaps this is one I should pick up during my upcoming funemplyoment. Nothing beats biting British wit.

    ReplyDelete