Monday, August 30, 2010

Les Liaisons Dangereuses

I picked up an old paperback copy of Les Liaisons Dangereuses at a library sale in college. Since the title was in French, I assumed the whole book was in French. I bought it when I was still taking French classes, naively thinking I'd read it in its native language. Well, since I stopped taking French and would find it hard to read even Le Petit Prince nowadays, I had relegated it to decorative status. Until the day I showed it to my friend, a French literature scholar, who actually opened the book and we discovered it was in English.

So, I put it on my list. Instead of my old, decorative paperback, though, I read it on my brand spanking new Nook! I really like my Nook--it's much sleeker than the first generation Kindle I borrowed from work and much easier on the eyes than the iPad. But, back to the book. I was originally interested in reading Laclos' novel back when the movie Cruel Intentions, the modern day teenage version of the story, came out. Reading an eighteenth-century epistolary novel reminded me of my favorite literature class, but really I think I prefer the movie version of the story. It was sleeker and just a little bit crueler on screen. I kept picturing Selma Blair and Ryan Phillippe as I read.

I'm glad I read it and had the chance to give my new Nook a spin. I'm really looking forward to loading it up with new stuff and taking it on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment