Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Girl in Hyacinth Blue

The third and final book I read on vacation was The Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland. It was an ideal plane book in the sense that it was small and light weight . . . but on a 13 hour flight, it didn't have a high enough page count!! Even with a few hours of sleep and a couple of movies, it just barely lasted long enough!

The book wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be one continuous story about the creation of a Vermeer painting. Instead, it was short stories about various owners of the painting, touching on several historical periods. It was captivating enough, but didn't live up to the hype that surrounded it when it came out.

Since I've been back, I've been trying to get into Peter Dexter's Spooner, but it's not grabbing me. I give it 50 more pages before I decide if I want to ditch it. And in the meantime, there's been so much Tivo to catch up on! (Hey, I'm not that much of a book worm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment